Wren Kauffman ( audio )
1. How and when did you know that your gender identity was not congruent with being a girl?
2. Tell us the story about how you and your family dealt with this issue.
3. How about your friends? Can you tell us a little bit about your friends?
4. What kinds of advice would you give to parents of children who are grappling with gender identity?
5. Before we go on to the next question could I ask you, as the mother—you’re obviously a very inclusive family and very supportive—can you give us a couple of tangible examples of how things came up that you were able to support Wren in this transition.
6. Was it any more difficult or easier for your husband in this situation?
7. How could schools and society in general deal more effectively with situations involving transgender identity? It sounds like you’ve had a really very supportive situation. In less supportive situations, what might you suggest?
8. Wren, do you have anything that you would like to add to that?