Karen Hulme ( video )
1. Karen, you’ve been a highly respected educator in inclusive education for many years. Can you tell us about what attracted you to this area and why?
2. Many of your years as an educator were spent at Mackay Centre, which has played a unique role in the Montreal community. Tell us about the mission of Mackay Centre.
3. Can you tell us how children from outside the school became a part of that school?
4. What do you think the children who came from the school system to Mackay Centre learned from that experience?
5. That’s a success story. Can you share another success story that you experienced in your tenure there?
6. You’ve suggested some challenges that you faced in your experiences at the Centre, can you talk about any other challenges?
7. Can you tell us about the program called “Circle of Friends,” developed by Evelyn Lustaus and her colleagues, which you implemented.
8. What advice would you have for educators in leadership positions about inclusive education?